The latest update to Pokemon Go formally introduced Team Rocket’s invasion within the PoGo world. Our walkthrough guide including a full video recording of the Team Rocket encounter will help you understand what to expect.
But, first, let’s review what the invasion from a high level.
To identify a Team Rocket stop:
- Stops can spawn at any time, without warning.
- Have approximately a 30-minute time limit from the start of spawn, not from the start of discovery.
- Shows up as a darker shade of black/blue and slightly animates.
Battling a Team Rocket stop:
- Walk towards pokestop.
- When you are in range of the pokestop, the engaged pokestop will be black in color, not regular blue.
- Spin the pokestop, and the Team Rocket Grunt will appear.
- Click on “battle” to engage with the Grunt.
- Select your Pokemon for battle.
- You will now be in a PvP-style battle with the Team Rocket Grunt.
- The Grunt will send out Shadow Pokemon in the battle for all three battles.
- Once you complete the battle, you will receive your Reward and then enter in the Bonus catch stage with the fallen Shadow Pokemon.
- Once you catch the Shadow Pokemon, you will be asked to purify the Pokemon. Hold off on it for lucky trades!
Here’s a video screencast of our battle with a Team Rocket pokestop:
Tips and Good-to-knows:
- Save the Shadow Pokemon for a lucky trade. As reported by user /u/1nderful-1, the Purification process increases IV stats by 2. The current IV floor of 12/12/12 will be 14/14/14 after purification.
- Powering Shadow Pokemon past level 25 will maintain at the level. Purification will not increase when you purify.
- The moves “Frustration” and “Return” can be TM’d but cannot be relearned.
- Your Pokemon will need to be revived and healed after a Team Rocket battle.
- Trading a Shadow or a Purified Pokemon is considered a special trade for the day.
- Trading a Shadow or Purified Pokemon will not prompt a trade warning.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest video updates.
Do you have an update to share with us? Find an error on our article? Please send us an email to [email protected]